|MAXIMS ON LEADERSHIP|
1a. The power of a leader. True leaders are not those who strive to be first, but those who are first to strive and who give their all for the success of the team. True leaders are first to see the need, envision the plan and empower the team for action. By the strength of the leader’s commitment, the power of the team is unleashed.
1b. The essence of leadership. A true leader has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent. In the end, leaders are much like eagles.... they don’t flock, you find them one at a time.
2a. Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishment toward organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.
2b. Trust is the emotional glue that holds every team together.....in times of trial, it transforms a group of committed individuals into a team of individuals committed to each other.
3. The Light of Integrity. The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the full light of day. The content of your character is your choice. Day by day, what you choose, what you think, and what you do is who you become. Your integrity is your destiny..... it is the light that guides your way. Heraclitus, Greek Poet, Philosopher
4. We cannot change yesterday. We can only make the most of today, and look with hope toward tomorrow.
5. The greatest discovery of any generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitude. -William James
6. Only those who see the invisible can do the impossible.
7. What we can easily see is only a small part of what is possible. Imagination is having the vision to see what is just below the surface - to picture that which is essential, but invisible to the eye.
8. When you are right, you can’t be too radical. When you are wrong, you can’t be too conservative.
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
9a. Excellence is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than other think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
9b. Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.
10. Some people dream of success..... while others wake up and work hard at it.
11. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.
12. If God wants to attempt the impossible, the least I can do is cooperate. (From Walt’s personal file)